Over dit project
Bortolomiol, a luxury wineyard of historical origin, offers an artist’s residency within its own production establishment, on the suggestive hills of Prosecco Superiore.
Founded by Bartolomeo Bortolomiol in 1760, today the winery boasts a completely female management (the firm is led by 4 sisters: Maria Elena, Elvira, Luisa and Giuliana), and it is exactly the female contribution that we want to enhance with the Female Land Artists project, curated by Current, a start-up specialized in curating and developing unconventional artistic projects.
The Bortolomiol winery is located in the territory of Valdobbiadene (Veneto, Italy): an anthropized landscape of exceptional beauty, famous as a place of origin of the Prosecco wine.
The hills of Valdobbiadene are about to enter the UNESCO World Heritage Sites: a productive and authentic place, shaped by the wisdom of man and rich in natural, sensory and spiritual stimuli.
THE CONTEXT OF THE RESIDENCY: BORTOLOMIOL AND THE FILANDETTA PARK
The residency project has as its objective the enhancement of the Filandetta Park, a beautiful nature reserve owned by the company and soon to be opened to the public, in which there is an organic vineyard, the winery, a stone amphitheater in Greek style, the testing area in a spinning mill from the early 1900s, restored according to the canons of industrial archeology. The residency is in synergy with a large project, strongly desired by the Bortolomiol Family, which regenerates a part of the historic center of Valdobbiadene.
Bortolomiol is the leading winery in the production of Prosecco Superiore di Conegliano-Valdobbiadene DOCG, a sparkling wine produced only in the 15 municipalities to which the hills between Conegliano and Valdobbiadene belong. From the responsibility of being a leading company in the field of Prosecco Superiore and based on a continually evolving project for an eco-sustainable agriculture, Bortolomiol proposes techniques of biological cultivation, reduction of water use, a precious resource.
TIMES AND STRUCTURE OF THE ARTIST RESIDENCY:
• The residence will last about 20 days and will cover the period between the second half of May 2019 and the first two weeks of June 2019 (the precise start and end dates can be better defined with the chosen candidate, also basing the choice on the company calendar);
• The task of the selected artist, will be to produce, in this period of time, a land art intervention to enhance the Filandetta Park, starting from the environmental stimuli of the context;
• The selection will tend to Land Art artworks, but will evaluate also other proposals belonging to other artistic media, if these proposals can enhance the cultural, natural and feminine context in which the park is inserted;
• At the end of the residency, the work will be presented in an exhibition event, with opening to the public, artist talk and cocktails, contributing incisively to turn the spotlight on environmental issues and the gender issues.
WHO CAN APPLY AND HOW:
• Female artists, who speak fluent English or Italian, without any restriction of age, nationality or artistic background (with preference to land art);
• Send your candidacy until April the 30th 2019, exclusively by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(with the subject “female land artist wanted”), accompanied by a portfolio and / or artistic CV, and a short text of about 300 words representing the concept of a site-specific work to be develop (photographs, sketches and sketches of the site-specific potential intervention are welcome but not mandatory);
BENEFITS OFFERED TO THE SELECTED ARTIST:
• Coverage of the flight A /R from the destination of origin;
• Artistic fee (from a minimum of 700,00 to a maximum of 1,000.00 euros based on length of stay and CV);
• Access to indoor spaces to work;
• Accommodation offered in a small independent apartment, in the middle of the Filandetta park, with kitchen. The residence wants to be “female friendly”: based on the conditions, it is possible to evaluate together with the curators the possibility for the female mothers to bring their child with them;
• At the end of the project, the work created by the artist will become part of the private collection of the Bortolomiol winery within the exclusive setting of the Filandetta Park.